Warning, this post has the words Pee and Poo in it frequently. So if for any reason those words offend, STOP reading right now.
Noah should have been potty trained forever ago, according to me and Kersten. After all he is 3 1/2 in a bit over a week, he has started preschool and we have a new diaper bum to change in 3 months. We have talked about it, encouraged, celebrated, bribed, begged and anything else you can imagine to get him to think the potty was cool. His teacher at preschool even commented about how violent he gets when you ask him if he wants to go. Only Aunt Ginny could get hime to go on the potty on a regular basis. We asked her to move in for awhile to help out. Luckily for her, but not for us, she is right now in Europe on a month long vacation. Ginny even bought him Star Wars Galactic Heroes to earn as he goes potty. For example: he would earn Count Dooku if he made a poo on the toilet (We laughed Dooku if he made a dook)and Anakin if he made a pee. And we chose this by what ones were more desirable to him. And that stinker would stare longingly at toys in our bathroom and sigh that it was to hard. He did go about 4 months ago for 2 days to earn his Spiderman and Dr Octopus guys and after that decided he was done and never would sit on the toilet after this.
Well, we have had a breakthrough and hopefully now there is an end in sight. He saw this Rescue Helicopter at Costco and Dad talked to him about earning it for going to the Potty for 4 days. He promised he would. We made a chart when we got home and hung it on the bathroom door to put a sticker on at the end of the day. The first day went really well, we also had an egg timer in the bathroom that we set for him to go every 1/2 to hour. And when that bell went off he ran to the potty. And for more bribes, even if he did not go we would give him 3, M&M's just for trying. I mean what else can we do here people. So day number 2 arrives and Noah throws a huge fit, first thing in the morning as I escort him to the potty. He even told me to take the helicopter back and it was too hard. So Kersten figured out a compromise, he could have the helicopter pilot. He named him Hank the helicopter man. So for the next three days, in the haze of M&M's, timer bells, wet pants, two 45 minute events trying to go poo to only have a tiny lump come out and Hank the helicopter man escorting Noah to the toilet. Noah earned his helicopter yesterday. Oh it was a proud moment. This is a picture of him on the potty first thing in the morning with his helicopter. He is very aware that if he stops trying to go potty all the time, the helicopter will go in Mommy's closet untiil he is going again. Oh my, this is such a headache and he is not even close to being completely potty trained. We are trying and will continue this event. There probably could have been a better time to go hard core about this, but as I read everything it would say, "do not potty train during first trimester of pregnancy, or when big changes are going on" etc and blah blah blah and it would just frustrate me further. I totally agree with what Carrie wrote about how the mom need to be ready and commited to this also. I am clear now until the 16th of Oct to be on moderate bed rest so I figure better now than later.
12 comments:
Good for you Laurie, Kersten, and Noah!! Its almost like training for a marathon!! You are doing great keep up the good work. Its okay that its hard Noah, we all feel that way!
love ya
Congradulations Noah! You are such a big boy! Lou I am even more excited for you! And anxious. I hope Noah is rejuvinated after the experience and is ready to commit to the lifetime of toilet going.
Lou--potty training sucks. And don't be dismayed when people say that their child did it in a couple of days or whatever. That's bunk. That being said, have you tried letting him be naked while he's in the house? I didn't do that with my oldest and it seems to be helping with second boy. It's not a miracle or anything, but I've had less laundry and wetting that way. Good luck!
Go Noah! Good luck Lou! Just think 3 months of no diapers to change!
just let him walk around with no diaper and when he poops his pants take him outside and hose him off.
I'm really impressed by your creativity and ingenuity to get him potty trained. It sounds like you're really close and that Noah's doing great...I'm not looking forward to that...good thing I have another year or two (?) and that I have you to learn from!
With one of my boys, we did rubber stamps on the underwear. They go away when they get wet. But neither of them was "trained" until after 4! They didn't want anything to do with it.
Good luck. Naoh will get it. I truly belive that the kid will do it whne they want to. Kira was potty trained just a few months ago and her an Noah are the same age. When she wanted to do it it went quite smoothly. But your'e right you have to be willing and ready as well as they do.
We bribed Kira with a leapster. She had to have no accidents for 10 days. I think the bigger bribes work well, the candy only goes so far.
Keep up the good work.
I dread potty training. I agree with Noah - it is all too hard and not worth it! Why can't we all just go in our pants for the rest of forever! I know when I have had a big D.Coke and am driving in the car - it sucks. That is when I long to be a baby again - or an old lady - either way. No potties needed. Maybe that is why old people aren't potty trained anymore - they have realized there are more important things in life than toilets. ??? LOL
Did I just post that? LOL
My wife has decreed that I no longer need to use the bathroom, I can now poop my pants, hurray
Poo and Pee. Seem to remember those potty training days.
Oh yah, that was last week... LOL
Post a Comment