Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Graham Crackers and Milk

I have been thinking a lot lately about rituals or traditions that bring us comfort and security. When Sofia was in the hospital with RSV and I came home one night to be with Noah. I found out one of his. I have thought about this a lot since then and have tried to pay more attention to what we do together that would be considered comfort. When I picked him up that night and we arrived home, he asked for a snack. He wanted Graham crackers and milk. I got him a cup with milk and the crackers and Noah got really upset and said "Ma, you too". As I sat down, I contemplated all the times we had done just that. Just the two of us sitting down at the table with our glasses of milk, dipping graham crackers or cookies inside. We would talk and laugh and it was always just us. Dad does not like this snack much so it has always been just me and Noah. This snack was one of my childhood favorites. So I am glad that I could pass it on to my boy. I hope when he is older we can still sit down at the table and have a snack and talk.

7 comments:

WonderKitty said...

Cute post...now I want some Graham crackers!

Diana said...

What a sweet tradition. I hope you can always do that even when he's 17 and coming home from his dates :)

The Justice Family said...

What special moments those are. I bet he will remember them too, especially if it is your tradition here on out. I so look forward doing things like that with Luke. Those are the moments you live for as a Mom.

Mimi said...

Milk is such a comfort to me and now I am seeing the same in Allie. I so understand. Grahams and Milk are very popular in our house too!

Carrie said...

That's so sweet. Traditions do make all the difference.

Alicia said...

You are such a great mommy!

Nik English said...

I feel this same way about Nilla Waffers and milk...great post!