Saturday, June 02, 2007

Star of Kazan


I just finished this book that is made for 10-16 year olds and I just adored it. It is an honorary Newbery award winner and a Parents Choice award for 2004. I randomly saw it on the shelf at the library and picked it up. So glad that I did. The characters are so loveable and the descritions are amazing. I loved her feelings and her insecurities and her moments of complete brilliance. I also loved that it was based in Vienna Austria in the time of the Great Emperor. I would encourage any girl to read this book no matter what age. I was just delightful.
Here is what was on the side about the book.
"Annika is a happy eleven-year-old foundling living with the cook and housekeeper who found her in a house in Vienna belonging to three eccentric, kindly professors. Bright, cheerful and ardworking, Annika nevertheless puts herself to sleep at night by imagining that her real mother will arrive someday and sweep her away to a wonderful life complete with dog. In the meantime, her rich nemesis across the square persuades her to take her place caring for her ancient, bedridden great-aunt stuck away in an attic. This elderly invalid, who becomes Annika's great friend, tells about her life in the theater and how she was given beautiful jewelry by admirers - including "The Star of Kazan."
When her beautiful mother does arrive, almost as she envisioned, Annika is so smitten that she refuses to accept the realities of her increasingly difficult life. Fortunately, because of her goodness, she always has true friends. With Annika suffering terribly and the plot twisting ferociously, this book will be beloved by its readers. It is a compelling read in which young readers will detect more than the naive main character, which ups the tension. This is an almost perfect children's book".
I agree with that last sentence.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

I'll have to read this one, especially since it's set in Vienna! Thanks for the review~

Diana said...

sounds like a great book I'll have to read it!

Gatnnos said...

hmmmmmm