Thursday, June 21, 2007

Last Enrichment-Anita Stansfield


Thursday night was my last enrichment night that I had to help with. I was released last Sunday and it was interesting to feel how the mantle of that calling had lifted. I could not focus on what needed to be done for that night. I had set up back at the beginning of the year to have Anita Stansfield come speak in our ward. We invited one other ward and all the young women. I was a bit worried about the turnout for their was a wedding in our ward that night and girls camp was rescheduled for that week.

Before the meeting Anita came up early and went to lunch with my sisters, mom and I at Cafe Rio. It was fun to see and chat with her beforehand. My aunt Patty is here from Texas and she came also and brought my Grandma. Her two girls Mary and Anna were dropped off at my house to spoil Noah during enrichment. We arrived at the ward and as I had dreaded there were not that many people there. I had been really nervous about the introduction. I was a little dorky because I wanted to show my enthusiasm for her books and how much I admire her as a person. I shared some stories and such but forgot to brag a bit about how I am on the cover of 3 of her books. I even brought the framed picture of them in my house. Silly me.

I have heard her talk before and it never ceases to amaze me how the things that she says touch me and make me think. She talked about how us as women always feel inadequete. And how Satan uses this as a tool. The spirit was very strong. One thing she said that struck a cord is that she tells her children that Heavenly Father loves them the most, that is not Mom and Dad because they are human and have flaws. But Heavenly Fathers love is absolute, perfect and never wavers. She shared experiences from her life that show what she calls "Relief Society Moments" where women and people have answered her prayers. We need to be there for each other as women. I wish I could have taped it. By the end of the evening most of the women did not have dry eyes. Anita made the comment that she knew she was there for certain women. So it made me feel better that the turnout wasn't that great. It was really a fabulous evening. It was a great way to end my calling as Enrichment Leader. I will miss the counselor I worked with. It is a bit bitter sweet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a job well done!! I wish I lived close by, if I was in utah more, I would have loved to come.

Kersten said...

It sounds like it was a pretty special evening.

Carrie said...

I'm glad it worked out. I didn't know you were getting released. You're the best.

Kristi said...

I wish I could have come! I'm glad that it went well. Congrats on a successful night. :)