Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"Moo Haw"


Tuesday was a very tragic day for my sweet Noah. As everyone who knows him or reads this blog has figured out, Noah Loves, is obsessed, is overly zealous and excited about Star Wars. He has 2 lightsabers, a blue one and a green one. The blue one is his favorite because Obiwan has a blue lightsaber. Green is cool because Qui Gon Jin has one and so does Luke. As Noah watches these movies numerous times a week, he acts out the entire sequences as they unfold on the movies. He swims, holds on to the ledge when they slip, he fights, spins, jumps and makes all the sound effects possible. His blue lightsaber is offically the Moo Haw and the Green one is the Eee Haw.
Tuesday was one of those days were you run and run and never stop. I had the doctor, we had lunch at the park with Kristin for her birthday, Noah had his Little Ninja class and then Kristin's Birthday party that evening. In the late afternoon, I realized in the events of the day we had lost, misplaced or dropped it somewhere in our adventures. It usually is snuggly placed in my purse or in the iron grip of Noah's hand. I did not alert Noah of this but we did go back to all the places and do a search as he screamed home. At bedtime he asked where it was and I said a casual remark that it might be at Aunt Emilee's.

The next morning the first thing he asked was if I had called Emilee to see if we had found it. When I responded in the negative. He sat on the ground and started crying. I held him in my arms and tried to comfort him. Emilee had not done a through search as of yet. So I said we would keep looking. All morning long, he would look at his Star Wars books we got at the library and find the blue lightsaber and come and show me. He lamented and had a hard time all morning. This is one of his first dealings with grief and loss. He was genuinely mourning the loss of his precious "Moo Haw". My sister Amy called and I was chatting with her as I did the dishes. Noah comes running in with a grief stricken look on his face. He started crying and wrapped himself in my arms. Amy could hear him on the phone. She started mourning with him. She started thinking about when she was young and she lost her favorite piglet. She said she could not handle it that was so sad. Before she hung up she said "I am just going to run to Walmart and find him a new one". She showed up a tiny bit before she had to go to school to give it to him. We made a big fanfare about how lucky he was that Amy loved him so much to give him a new Blue Lightsaber. He gave her huge hugs and said thank you a million more times. He shows it to everyone now and say "Mimi" to tell them that she gave it to him. The joy in that boy is completely undescribable with his new "moo haw". Wed morning was so heart breaking to watch my son go through such genuine grief over his favorite toy. I am eternally grateful that Amy came to the rescue and brought peace back to his soul.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Way to go Amy, save the day. When Matthew lost his baby at my mom's it was pretty traumatic. It's so hard to watch them learning these lessons. I guess better now with a toy.

Kersten said...

I tragically lost my favorite toy as a youth, which also happened to be a Star Wars toy. My parents didn't replace it and I turned out fine...right?

Gatnnos said...

That is really cute! Thank goodness for great aunties to help take away some of the trauma of being a kid!

emily said...

Oh, I was reading and thinking "this is so sad!" I'm very glad your story has a happy ending! Wonder where that light saber will show up...