Sunday, March 18, 2007

Busy and other such nonsense



This week I have felt more than a little bit haggard. I feel the weight of everything that is represented in this painting of "The Responsible Woman", Home, Career, creativity, chef, housekeeper, leader, scheduler, family and romance. I as the enrichment leader in our ward had the Relief Society birthday party on thursday. I think it turned out rather well. Unfortunetly, I forgot to take pictures of everything on that night so I will just have to describe it.
For decorations we had wrapped a birthday present with a handkerchief and a poem about Heavenly Fathers love for each individual sister that we put a their plate. They were wrapped in pink, lavender and yellow paper with 5 pastel colors of curly ribbon. We had a two tiered birthday cake as the centerpiece on cake pedestals. Kathy, my sister in law Lena's mother came and decorated them for me. She made pink roses for them. They turned out incredible and the sisters loved them. Kathy and Lena helped me Wed mid morning and afternoon decorating these cakes. I am so grateful because cake decorating is not my talent and If I had done it myself it would be lucky to have frosting on it.
For food we had french dip sandwiches, strawberry spinach salad, fruit, veggie tray and cake for dessert. Karina the enrichment counselor made all the meat. It was delicious and tender, quite impressive really. Suzanne on my committee did the program. She found all these fun facts about Relief Society and wove them together with the Songs that Leslie and Roger sang. Here is one of those random facts, In the 20's the Relief Society started a catching flies club worldwide. Where the women would catch flies and put them in a jar and get together once a week to bury them and have potluck. There were no screens and flies spread disease. So by doing this they all were much healthier. The songs were so fun, In the year that Relief Society formed, the hit song was "I Dream of Jeannie with the Light Brown Hair", they sang that and "I Love You Truly" a love song from the 20"s and two hymns by Mickey Hart who is in our ward. It was beautifully written and very enjoyable. I was amazed at Suzanne's talent in arranging everything to fit so beautifully together. I took my camera but I was running around so much that I barely had time to sit down, so I forgot to take pictures. It look really nice and I was really glad to see it over. I was so busy and stressed that friday I had the worst migraine I have had in 4 years, My sweet sister Em took Noah so I could sleep. He was in heaven play Star Wars with Spencer and his friends. I apologize about the gap in my blogging adventures and I will warn you next time if I need a week break.


After my week I needed a little R and R, Jason and Verity came over after Noah went to bed on Fri and we watched "Stranger than Fiction" with Will Ferrell, Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson and Maggie Gyllenhal. I personally Loved it. Kersten said it was good but I don't think he loved it as much as I did. I loved the literary elements of this show. I loved Maggie's character, Ana who was a baker that did not want to pay her taxes. I also liked seeing Will Ferrell in a more serious role but I told Kerst that it I kept laughing cause I would see a little of Elf or some of his other crazy characters in his face and it would make me laugh. I really liked this movie. I don't remember any swear words although there could have been a few mixed in. I loved how they told the story and it was just really interesting. If you haven't seen it, I don't want to give to much away. So I will stop now.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Sounds lika success! I know how much energy went into preparing it. I'm glad you have your family there to help you recover.

emily said...

I think pulling off one of those Enrichment dinners would be so hard (I hope I never have to personally find out).The decorations and food and songs sound so great! You have some talented people in your ward. I bet it was a wonderful night. I'm sure you're glad it's over though!

Nik English said...

Stranger than Fiction is a Awesome show!! Glad you liked it!!

WonderKitty said...

That is a movie that I wish had a book preceding it. I think it would have been even better! I loved it!

Reluctant Nomad said...

I love that you love the "literary" qualities of the film. Kindred Spirits. Want to come to my lit classes with me? I'd love to have you there!

Mimi said...

Lou it was awsome no worries everyone loved it

Laurie said...

mara, I would love to go to your lit classes with you. That would be totally heavenly.

CTuna's Cavern said...

Just like Grandma Shepard... way to go. Nice story of a good day. Wish we would know more about these things ahead of time...