Friday, February 16, 2007

In Search of Heaven


I just finished reading my favorite Authors, new Book "In Search of Heaven" by Anita Stansfield. She wrote a foreword to this book which is unusual. It intrigued me that she wrote this, She writes so much about human relationships and how our choices affect the outcome of our life. One of my favorite things about her books is her characters are real. They make mistakes and they face the consequences of those mistakes. In most stories people want happy endings and in her books they do always end happy but does not life also end up happy. The knowledge that we get to be with the ones we love in the end are what this journey we call life is about. So of course there will be hard times and struggles but with the gospel there is always light waiting for us. In her foreword she talked mostly about the intimate relationship of husband and wife and it sacred place in marriage and life. This made me even more intriqued than as usual, I devored this book.

This is what it says on the back of the book

"A strange and disturbing conversation overheard while secretly perusing the pages of the family Bible in the Barrington’s study . . .

A mysterious yet intriguing book of scripture left unattended on the street . . .

An elusive new religion that beckons from halfway across the world . . .

The daunting task of becoming the governess to the Barrington children . . .

A proposal of marriage without a declaration of love . . .

Thus begins an epic that takes a young woman from a position of servitude to unrelenting challenges that will test the very limits of her courage and faith.

With vividly painted settings that range from the wealth and grandeur of the Barringtons’ English estate to the vast uncharted vistas of America, you will be caught up in a saga rich with the promise of eternal implications."

Okay so I don't want to ruin the story. But I love Eleanore and her faith and courage in following what she feels the Lord is telling her. Eleanore loves book and "Upon entering the bookshop, she always had to close her eyes and take a deep breath, just to inhale the smell of books. Then she stood for a long moment and looked around, pondering all the magic within the pages of neatly organized books for sale." I do this also at the library or any book store and even the book section at Target. I just love books. So I was extremely happy that the book began with her search of a new book. And when she went to read the bible she "paused as if greeting an old friend." I feel like that with my scriptures before I open them. I am not an elequent writer, so I loved seeing some of my own feeling put into words.

The story does talk a lot about the husband and wife relationship and it sacredness. This was an arranged marriage which would be a challenge in itself. I loved how Mr. Barrington or James was understanding, clear and patient with his wife. She was so much younger than him. Their relationship was an amazing example of communication, honesty and overcoming unforeseen challenges. I gained some more understanding and a different perspective.

Eleanore taught me a lot and that is what I love about reading, is the learning and taking stock of my own feelings and life and my favorite part of reading in losing myself in story. This Anita book was so amazing but not has treacherous as some of her others. I cannot wait to read more of the Barrington Family saga, her website is on my links on the side. Happy Reading!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Yet another book I'll have to borrow from you. It sounds great, I always love learning more about how to be a better wife.

emily said...

I've never read an Anita Stansfield book, but my SIL, Amber loves them. Of course it helps when you can check them out at the local library...I'll have to hit up my UT friends to see if anyone has this one. It sounds really interesting!

My list of books to read is getting longer!

Kersten said...

I tried so hard to get through an Anita book to show you that I love you. But I couldn't do it. It was far too frustrating for me, plus, there weren't any explosions...

Mimi said...

I love Anita I am reading her Gable Legacy Series right now. I love going into the world of Anitas Charaters they are some of my nearest and dearest friends as I know they are for you