
I just finished reading a beautiful book called "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" by Lisa See. I love reading book that are historical and tell something about a time and place I can't dream or imagine. The writing is exquisite, she paints pictures as a young chinese girl goes through life doing only what she know best. She is writing her memoirs as an 80 year old widow, thinking back on her life. It is fasinating to learn more about the culture of this time. And a little girls struggles to just be loved, feel love and figure out who she is.,
Here is one of my favorite paragraphs from the book
"I am still learning about love, I thought I understood it -not just mother love but the love for one's parents, forone's husband, and for one's laotong. I've experienced the other types of love-pity love, respectful love, and gratitude love. But looking at our secret fan with its messages written between Snow Flower and me over many years, I see that I didn't value the most important love--deep-heart love."
It was interesting to see how through her life she tried so hard to follow customs and be obedient and in the end she saw so many of her mistakes and her triumphs that we all have in life. And her regrets were only for the people that she loved and cherished. It was well worth the read and I read over different parts and passages afterwards.
3 comments:
I love that you post good book recommendations. I'm always looking for my next read. This sounds great, I'll try and pick it up at the library this week.
I will be honest with you lou. I will never read this book!
Sounds good. I need something to read. I am so lame, I haven't read anything since Christmas. I'm checking this one out too.
Thanks!
Post a Comment