Monday, February 05, 2007

Fleeting Moments



Noah has been struggling with settling his mind down at night for the last week. He goes to bed on time but plays with his Donald Duck and Pal his Dog, read books, plays lightsabers or trucks in his bed. At first he would turn his light on so he could see but after he got in trouble for that he now uses his dog flashlight. When Kersten or I go in there and ask him what is wrong he talks to us in his Noah way, that his mind is going so fast. He is thinking about "pboo pboo" (sound of shooting gun), "beep beep" (a dump or scoop truck backing up) "choo choo" (trains), "shwoo, swhoo" (lightsabers with the sword movements), waaoo waoo (sirens of sheriff or firetrucks) "shoo shoo" (anything flying). The funny thing is if we ask him if he is tired he says "Yes". And he will close his eyes and say "Rest". And a couple minutes later remembers something else he need to play or look at. He is really good to stay in bed and not get out but we hear him up there some nights until 11:00pm. It worries me that he is not getting enough sleep since he will not hear of napping ever since he does not have a binky anymore. We both are flabbergasted in the best way to approach this new development. He has always been so good at bed time and gone right to sleep. Any suggestions would be helpful

Last Night when I went in to see if I could calm him down enough to fall asleep, I climbed into his big boy bed and asked him if I could hold him with is "B" (favorite blanket). He climbed into my lap and I held him in my arms like I did after I would feed him when he was tiny. He snuggled right in and closed his eyes. At that moment I had a realization of how fleeting small moments like these are. I remembered his face as an infant exactly in the same place as it was now. The lighting almost exact to then a small nightlight. We are now even in a different room and the furniture is changed. He is so much longer, heavier and so much more a boy. I hugged him tighter to me, Knowing now that I will continue to get these peaceful moments to remind me that I will always and forever get to be this sweet boy's mom. The moment came and went so quickly. Noah's eyes were done resting and he had to tell me about his book. But for that one fleeting minute, I had peace and I got to hold my boy.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

So sweet. I love those moments with my boys too.

Mimi said...

I understand Noah Lou, I hate to tell you but I am the same way. Thats why I lay in bed and stare it took me forever to go to bed as a kid, teenager and even now. Wish I knew more on how to help you but I cant even help myself sometimes.......Its weird to think that someday my Allie will be bigger I charish the moments I have with her now

emily said...

It's so bittersweet watching our children grow up. Sorry I don't have any suggestions for sleep. My oldest is the worst. She stays up and looks at books for the longest time. I don't know how she can do it, cause if I sit still for longer than 2 minutes I'm asleep!