Tonight was fantastic. It was a night that dreams are made of. And it was not because of what we did but who we were with and the outcome.
My sweet boy Noah, woke up on thursday whining that his leg hurt and he did not want to go to school. He has been anti school lately. So I scooped him up and took him to school. The saddest thing is that he did not walk at school. He even sat on the grass at recess. He stayed on the couch the entire day on thursday. We discovered that it was his knee that was hurting him more than anything else. I kept thinking he was being a drama king by not wanting to make it straight. Kersten took him to the doc today. Luckily, he does not have a fracture or anything of that kind. From what they can see, his knee cap is probably displaced and we need to get him to keep moving it to wiggle back in place. They sent us some fancy patches to help with the motions. Poor kid, 3 days of no jumping around playing Star Wars is killing him. He even commented that he was sad cause he had to go right to sleep and could not play in his bed. Ha Ha, I guess this is one way to quiet him down faster.
Since he is still down and has a fancy new Ace bandage, We decided to have a fun family movie night. He has been dying to see Speed Racer, ever since he saw the commercials for the DVD. I made homemade pizza, we bought some movie snacks, such as popcorn, whoppers and licorce. We snuggled in our pajamas all of us on the couch, with Tweet-ums crawling back and forth on top of the three of us. She wanted to be with the person with the most interesting food. Speed Racer was actually pretty good. It stressed the importance of family. Of being loyal , following your heart and of doing the right thing even if it is hard. Noah was pretty excited about it.
Afterwards, I had one of the best mommy moments ever. Sofia fell asleep at the end of the movie. So Noah said his prayers etc, outside of his room. After potty time and brushing his teeth, I carried him into my room for his nite time prayers. He asked if we could sit in the chair, I fed him in as a baby. It sits in the corner of my bedroom. I snuggled him on my lap. And teased him that he sure had grown a lot since I fed him as a baby. In Noah language he explained that he ate good food, used his strong muscles and he turned one, two, three and now he is four and so so big. I asked him if he wanted to talk to Mom about anything. He nodded "Yes" and said he wanted to talk about Stormtroopers in a bubble. Apparently, some Stormtroopers got stuck in a bubble and Darth Vader was going to be mad. We talked about different ways to get them out of the bubble. He also used the Choke force on them. I told him Darth Vader would not like it that he used his signature move and would clash lightsabers with him. Then in a brilliant Noah moment he said that he was Anakin and could not fight himself when he uses bad choices.
I asked him about school. He has complained bitterly the last week that he wants "No, school". I asked him if school was thumbs up or thumbs down. He waved his thumbs back and forth. So I asked if it was thumbs sideways. We both laughed hysterically. He proceeds to explain to me that school was sideways because they did not let him play guns and lightsabers the whole time (this is all explained in sound effects by the way). His teachers make him sit down and write, listen and blah blah blah. In his exact words. At this point I am trying to suppress my laughter. I commented that he could play guns and lightsabers at recess. He puts his fingers really close together to explain it is too little time and then spreads his arms really big to say that is how much time he wants. We discussed different ways that would make school more fun and when it was okay to play lightsabers. We talked for another 10 minutes or so. Going back and forth with the subject, Starwars, School, silly Sofia, his knee and church tomorrow.
This reminded me how important it is to slow down. Life is so hurried for there is so much to do. Between all the responsibilities of all my roles, I need to stop and just talk with my boy so he feels understood and that his opinions matter and are valid. In some ways his owey knee has been kind of nice. He has slowed down. In fact forcing us to slow down also.
6 comments:
Laurie,
What a tender moment for you and Noah. I can just picture it!
thanks for sharing
That is so sweet and precious. You really understand your adorable son :). Good mommy!
Poor Noah with his hurty knee. I hope it gets back to normal soon. Too bad Noah is already thumbs sideways about school, this is about as good as it gets!
Those are the best moments.
I am going to call Noah the Gladiator from now on!
Great story... love them as much as you can... they don't stay little long... Love Dad
Post a Comment