Tuesday, November 13, 2007

31 weeks


Today I am 31 weeks along in my pregnancy. My, how the time flies. I know pregnancy is 40 weeks long, but my doc's won't let me go over 39. So I really have only 6 to 7 weeks left. And all those weeks have big fun happy holidays, birthdays, crazy celebrations and doctor visits and more doc visits. In other words really, really busy. This seems to be going so much faster than it ever did with Noah. I feel it is the combination of being a bit more busy and everything is not so new, dramatic and life altering. Not to say that a new baby is not life altering or a beautiful miracle every single time. I am just saying that this time I have a better idea of what is to come. Therefore, I am a bit calmer about the changes in me and my body and more aware of how it will change my everyday life once this sweet one comes.

I have talked about a lot of my irrational crazy fears and worries with this baby and I really feel that most of them are a product of raging hormones and fatique. It is much easier to worry about changing a little girl diaper than any of the big and more important things. I sometimes want to strangle doctors, diabetic educators and other people that don't have to live like I do. The reason I want to strangle them is the unsolicited facts and horror stories they pound into your head. Basically saying if you don't do everything perfect, your baby will be ruined, maimed, altered or sick for it's entire life. At the beginning of this pregnancy I had my diabetic endocrogist look at me with horror at some of my blood sugars. His voice was so demeaning and horrific as if I had caused the ultimate sin and would be sent to Hades for the rest of my existence. I was 5 weeks pregnant at the time and just found out I was in the family way. I chose after that to have some of my other very well educated and trained doctors help and do the testing needed for this pregnancy. That is also one less doctor visit every 6 weeks. So I have decided that I would rather worry about my sleep deprivation than deforming my child. All I can do is what is humanly possible for me. And so I will. I have actually been incredibly blessed with my pregnancies. I talk to other diabetic mothers and hear how their kidneys stopped working or all sorts of things and I count my blessings and thank my Heavenly Father for helping me through this and giving me the blessing of my babies.

I have decided to embrace my silly, crazy, irrational fears to replace the real ones. And fret that my bra size is now what is was when I was nursing Noah, Yes, people you read that right, when I was nursing him. So that means they will still probably get even larger. So I can fret that I will look like a freakish woman with large ample bosoms and big baggy circles under my eyes. That has a darling little boy and a little girl that has lopsided bows and just keep laughing at myself and my imperfections so that I don't go totally and completely crazy. Just stay the little bit of crazy that I already am.

13 comments:

Nik English said...

oh pregnant lou. we love you!!

Alicia said...

I think you are the most beautiful woman who is expecting that I know. My mom and I are so proud of you for what you have gone through, what you are going through, and what you will go through.

Carrie said...

I'm pretty sure if you look up crazy in the dictionary it refers you to motherhood. Honestly, I think you're doing the right thing, it is best to embrace our craziness it just seems to make everything better.

Anonymous said...

You're so cute! I can just picture your little girl with the lopsided bows! Thanks for the idea about the turkey. I love swedish fish!

Kristi said...

I'm so excited for you and can't believe how close you are to the end! (and of course, the wonderful beginning!)

WonderKitty said...

There is no way this little girl will not be perfect, no matter how much sleep you get, or how crooked her bows are. Now you just need a name...

Laurie said...

diudunmj8uwadkjsa8e73d3wf5owrco3ir4tvotmvbuaibngrvgugirbbbbittjbiu9b9ttiviviyuv,,oklujooªcdfefcujjjl''km

AubGoofy said...

Lou, I love you. I can't wait to hold that sweet baby of yours and to give you a big hug

Mimi said...

Lou you are an amazing mother and I look up to you in so many things. You are just at the nesting stage Shaak-Ti will be fine....I love you Lou

Gatnnos said...

LOL, ILU!

Kersten said...

Hang in their sweetie. We are almost there!

Diana said...

That is a very good post Laurie, I am amazed at how well you express your emotions in writing. I hate demeaning doctors I wonder why they even become doctors if they're so mean to people.
I'm glad you are able to face your real fears and have such a strong support system in your life to help you out.

Erin said...

Good luck dear. I'll be thinking about you lots as you prepare for this beautiful baby girl.