Friday, April 06, 2007

The Bonesetter's Daughter


I finished this book about 2 weeks ago and I am still thinking about it. Which I take as a good sign. The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan is an astonishingly good book. It is a book about a Grandmother, Mother and Daughter relationship and the emotions, struggles and truimphs we have because of where we come from. It was fasinating to see these women connected and changed throughout their lives. It is set in China and San Fransico and crosses the time of when the Grandmother was born until present time. There is a bit of mystery and discovery in this book. The Mother writes her history in Chinese and little by little her daughter Ruth, pieces together her mother and Grandmothers life. I loved the language in this book. I am completely driven by characters and these women really tugged at me. I laughed and cried during this book, which to me makes it a good read. Unfortunetly, I have already returned the book to the library so I cannot put any of my favorite passages. I love history and the the discovery of your family stories. I recommend this book highly. There are no graphic descriptions just beautiful language.

5 comments:

Gatnnos said...

Thanks for the recommendation, I will have to read it. I am always looking for a good book to keep myself busy - lol!!! How do you ever find the time to read?!?!? But really it sounds good, I will read it!

Nik English said...

I dont like horror stories about men the set bones and the crazy messed up daughters. It sounds a little disturbing to me.

Lou I think we need to have a talk....

emily said...

So many people have recommended this book. When I heard about it, I was a bit nervous, but since it's so highly recommended... I guess I should try to read at least one book this year...

AubGoofy said...

sounds like an interesting book. But I would never get to reading it. Since I have a pile of books that I still need to read and have no time or energy to get to. I fall asleep before I can get any reading done. You were always the amazing reader. I just destroyed the books when we were little. Hee Hee.

Mimi said...

Sounds interesting but I think I will have to read Anita first though because I am behind