Thursday, December 17, 2009

My Grandma's Hands



I love these beautiful hands.  These are the hands of a woman who has lived a long, fulfulling life.  She has worked hard and cared for the ones she loved. I love the feel of her hands in mine, still so soft and a bit knarled with age.  Her simple words of love and the reminder to never forget, will forever be edged in my mind. These last couple days I have been blessed to be able to care for her a bit.  She fractured her hip and fell and has been in the hospital.  This happened Sunday morning right before my cousin's farewell talk.  It was a crazy emotional day.  I really have enjoyed sitting with her, feeding, caring, hugging, kissing her and just being by her side in the hospital.  It was so nice being the one on the other side for a change.  The nice thing is that I knew what I could get her and what I could demand.  I believe my biggest triumph was being her cran-raspberry juice supplier and getting her a bowl of fruit.  That brought her so much joy.  I love spending some peaceful moments with her.  It sad that I had to have an excuse to make the time.  She told one of the therapist that she was at the bowling alley and it would be better than being in this hospital and another time she told them her name was "Billie Goat".  I thought that was hilarious.  I loved spending time with my sister Amy we were able to be there together a lot.  Sometimes your soul needs the quiet and the companionship of a sister.  My beautiful 90 year old grandma is being moved today to a rehab facility to strenghten her brand new hip.  We had some of the nurses say what a delight she was to care for.  I love this woman and want to emulate her in so many ways


Here is a picture taken a couple months ago with 4 generations
My mother Jeanne,  my Grandmother Blanche,  My daughter Sofia and Me Laurie

4 comments:

Carrie said...

What a great picture. Your grandma is an amazing woman. Hope her recovery goes well.

WonderKitty said...

Those are beautiful pictures. I love your grandma, I just wish she remembered who I was! I hope she pulls out of this soon! Before Christmas would be great!

jenny and jake said...

hehe I love her. she is so funny

Mimi said...

Lou I had so much fun with you and grandma at the hospital. It will be a time I will never forget. Love you!