Friday, September 01, 2006

Shoes!

Last night was my first successful enrichment night as the new enrichment leader in my ward. It was the summer sole-cial and we had the theme of shoes. Women have a love affair with shoes that most men don't understand. So we invited the women to bring shoes to share their story. I realized that most shoes have a story. Even if you just bought them because they were pretty and look amazing with the new skirt your husband got you as a surprise. It was so fun to hear the stories and everyone enjoyed themselves. One lady had a pair of shoes her mother wore at her wedding in 1915, they were dyed egg shell blue and had matching stocking. The insides were leather and they had a bow on the toe. The sides folded down so there were flaps on both side. They were beautiful.
I really enjoyed finding my shoe stories. My sister Amy made ruby slippers for her wedding day. On the temple steps she would peek her toes out and there would be a flash of red. I took a pair of knitted booties that Kersten's Grandma who lives in Austria made and they are one of my greatest treasure. She only speaks German, the love she has for my son was communicated through the things she made him. I also took my tennis shoes I bought when pregnant with Noah. I had to buy them in Man sized because my feet were so swollen. They are one of the most comfortable pair of shoes I have ever owned. I am not finatical about shoes but they are really fun and can make a huge statement if you let them .

So women out there, enjoy your shoes. Embrace you womanhood, even if it can be a bit uncomfortable.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

I LOVE SHOES!!! What is it about shoes that makes us all love them? This sounds like the greatest idea, I love it. I'm glad your first enrichment activity is over and a success. I knew it would be. You know, I think I need a new pair of shoes.

Sharon said...

What a great idea. I forwarded your blog to our enrichment leader! Maybe we will get to have a fun sole-cial like you!

Dave S. S. said...

I will have to show you the boot that my dad used to kick up my Butt when I was bad.

Mimi said...

I LOVE SHOES!! Shoes are the one artical of clothing that you can go shopping for and you never look fat in them. Its always the shoes fault if it dosent fit right.

Dave S. S. said...

Actually I think your foot is too fat if it doesn't fit right.