Sunday, November 19, 2006

Early Thanksgiving and B-day Party


Tonight my Mom Jeanne and her husband Al had us all over for Thanksgiving. We also celebrated my birthday and my brother Nik's. His birthday is four day before mine. We had a club when we were kids called the November birthdays. Anyway, my mom has been so funny about my birthday about a mysterious surprise. She was so excited and kept talking about this fun thing that was happening. So right before we pray, the doorbell rang and Anita Stansfield, one of my favorite people and my definite favorite author, her husband Vince and their daughter *A walk in for the party. Anita says to me, Well, Happy Birthday Laurie, we are here for the party."

I have met Anita and been around her enough to know that she is just a normal, talented, amazing woman. I try so hard not to be awe struck and act silly about her and her books. I usually can't handle not asking questions about the characters running around in her head for long. She gave me her newest book "A Dance to Remember" which was on my list for birthday wishes. Now as she says I have an autographed copy. It was so fun to have her there. Her husband is so funny and him and Al tease that they are brothers they get along so well. We teased them tonight that when they get old they will be like the men in Second Hand Lions.
The food was marvelous as it always is at their house. The top picture is of Spencer my Nephew eating the drumstick. He was very enthusiastic about the turkey. I went around and took pictures of each family as they sat and ate. I totally felt like my mom. She was the one doing that in all the years past. Anita laughed and said "Most of us do turn into our mothers eventually". We all sat around talking afterwards. IT was fun to sit and laugh with my sisters and brother and spouses.


We opened presents after awhile. My mom had framed a picture my brother had drawn of Noah that he had given me for Christmas in 2004. It made my heart melt. It is so beautiful. Now just to find the perfect spot in my house to hang it.
NIk and Lena gave me the cute penguin Mumbles from the movie Happy Feet. It came with a birth certificate and they named if for me "McDreamy" to make it a bit more exciting. It made me laugh. And there was also an egg when you unzip it a baby penguin comes out. It is irresistable for someone like me who has loved penguins forever.

Overall, it was a very fun evening. Noah was beside himself coming home. He wanted to play with Papa Al's big laser tag gun some more. Thanks Mom and Al for the fun surprise and for the yummy dinner. I am very thankful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! Birthdays with family are the best! Wish I could be there to help you celebrate on Tuesday! Love you, Lou!

Nik English said...

Good Times.

Sharon said...

Happy Birthday yesterday!!
I hope you had a great day!
Happy Thanksgiving also!

Mimi said...

That was a fun night I will never forget Kara that night.....Waaah mommy I'm sad Waaaa