Over the last month we have had two floods in our basement. The first one occurred on July 1st. The storm drains on our roof went to just one place that drained into our basement stairwell. We only had a desk that we could live without damaged. It was a huge blessing that none of my photographs were ruined, I had just seperated them into piles and had moved them just days before from off the floor. It took almost 2 weeks to get the mold treated, the carpet cleaned etc and all the furniture put back downstairs. I got a beautiful new cabinet for my craft and scrapbook stuff and it was a nightmare to put together. The first one was defective and so we had to take it all apart and get another one. IT is a dream. It has doors so that Noah does not get into my stuff. It is amazing with what a barrier can do.
The second flood happened on Aug 1st. We had a monsoon type storm called a Lightening Cell in Salt Lake. Huge pine trees fell accross the street, trees fell on top of roofs, it made the neighborhood look like a war zone. I was in Noah's room and we saw out his window the storm, the wind looked like it was wrapping around itself and the rain went in all directions. I ran downstairs to close the window and the door in the basement had been blown open. There was at least a foot of water in the stairwell and I watched helplessly as the water came in the screen and seeped underneath the door. I closed the door and ran into the laundry room to shut the window, and suddenly I was into water up to my ankles. I grabbed the laundry I had sorted that morning that was now sopping. My husband called to see what was going on. As I was in the middle of the water with Noah yelling "Help, mom, Help." The conversation with my husband went something like this "Ok, Oh crap, O freak, Okay okay" over and over again. Kersten finally asked me to calm down and tell him what was going on I said I don't have time and yelled "Flood." Kersten now teases that this was one of our moments of pure beautiful communication. We got new carpet and the mold sprayed in 4 days. And since everything was organized I got things put back together pretty quickly.
We are all a little edgy at our house. I think that it is that we have been living in chaos for so long. I long for a day that is normal (whatever that means). We fixed all the problems of both floods so we are hoping that it will not happen again. We both keep wondering what will happen on September 1st. It is my grandparents anniversary that day so if anything does happen it will definitely be good.
1 comment:
Oh..... Sorry, Dang I mean well ahem.. I thought You said you wanted a swimming pool so, I uh, well, I uh kinda put the hose in your dryer Vent from the outside so it would fill up your basement and then You would invite me over for a pool party. It was going to be my Christmas present for you and Kersten. But now I see the surprise has been spoiled and you are ungrateful.
Post a Comment