Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Noah is 6 today


My Dear Sweet Noah Boy,

I loved waking you up this morning.  Your handsome face so relax and your chest rising and falling as you dream.   You seem so big and I still remember the way you smelled as a sweet baby.  And the tiny glimpse I got of you right after you were born.  I knew from that moment that I would never be the same again.  I was YOUR mother.  I felt so humbled, blessed and grateful. You fill my heart with so much wonder and love.

After I sang you awake and teased you that now you were 3.  You said to  me,
 "No, Mom  I am 6.  I turned 6 while I was sleeping.
Hold on just a minute."
And you stretched as long as you could, feeling all your muscles long.
Afterwards
"Yep,  I feel longer.  Six feels a lot different Mom".
I had to investigate and I felt all your muscles in your arms and legs
The certainly felt a lot bigger to me.  So much more like 6 year old muscles than 5"

This year has been such a big year for you.  So many new and exciting adventures and changes.  I have loved watching you grow and learn.  Kindergarten has been so exceptional for you.  Your mind is like a sponge.  You amaze me with your questions and your insights.  You are so thoughtful about everything and you try so hard to figure things out.  Your speech has improved by leaps and bounds this year.  My eyes are filling up with tears as I write this.  You have worked so so hard.  As you have been able to communicate better it astounds me even more what you have retained and what you are thinking about.

I love helping you with school and your homework.  The light in your eyes as you figure something out.  I will never forget the first time you sounded out words for me as we did your reading homework.  It still just makes me marvel at you and what you have accomplished.  Sometimes just the fact that you can blend the sounds together make me proud.

We have so many changes in our family this year.  You have been a trooper.  You are so gentle and understanding with your sister.  You try so hard to teach her what is right and to make the right choices.  Your patience with her is amazing.  The two of you laugh and play so well together.  I am so glad that you love each other and want to be close. You only have each other.  It is so important to nourish this relationship.

Thank you for still snuggling with me.  And for wanting to still kiss me goodbye when you go to school.  My heart cherishes those loves from you.   And I do miss you while you are gone and the kissing hand does help a lot.  Thanks for talking with me and telling me what is in your brain.  Your imagination is beyond bounds.  All the new games and things you play are so super fun.  I love seeing a glimpse of what is in that mind of yours.

Noah,  I love you to infinity and back.  I love being YOUR mom.  Thank you for making me a mother.

Love your,
 Mom
 Forever

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Happy Birthday Noah!

Sonja said...

Happy happy birthday Noah, dear! Happy days will come to you all year!

What a beautiful tribute to a special boy! We're so glad you are our neighbors and friends.

Alicia said...

I am crying too. Big kisses for your sweet boy and for his amazing mama.

The Justice Family said...

Aww, so sweet! You totally made me cry. I feel a lot of those same things for my baby boy. The time just flies by. Thank you for sharing such a sweet letter.