Thursday, January 21, 2010

Nurture

Right before Christmas break Noah brought home a pot with some dirt in it.  They had planted a bulb in the dirt at school and sent it home to be cared for.  I read the instructions out loud to Noah and he has been diligent in checking the dirt to make sure it is still damp.  He opens the curtains to give it light.  When 3 shoots sprouted out of the dirt, he was so excited.  Sofia had started to check on his plant with him and for him.  She would over water it for him on several occasions.  About a week ago,  I woke up to discover the plant had grown a beautiful flower.  When Noah arrived upstairs, he was ecstatic.  He even kissed it.  And as he ate his breakfast exclaimed over and over again how pretty it was.  He asked what his flower was called and I pronounced it a "Daffodil".  And as clear as day, every syllable perfect, he said "Daff-O-Dil".

That night he had to take a picture with his Daffodil.  So proud and happy.  It is so satisfying to care for something and see it grow.  It makes is that much more special and beautiful.
Sadly, Daffodil has started to wilt.  Noah came to me a bit distraught about this and I had to explain the cycle of the life of a flower.  It makes him a bit sad but he is diligently still checking the dirt and opening the curtain for the plant to have the light that it needs to grow.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

What a cutie. I think we all have to open the curtain so we have light to grow, kids teach us such profound lessons. What a sweetheart.

WonderKitty said...

Thats great. Bummer is staring to go already. When its just about spent, cut it off and 2 will grow next time!

Nik English said...

great post lou!

Mimi said...

So Cute!! I love his smile in this picture

emily said...

That is so so cute. Those are great lessons.

I still need to mail you your pillow--I will eventually get to the post office. Soon!

Teresa said...

hey, just got your note, we are both on fb. we aren't blocked so try and look us up! I will do the same tonight and send you an invite if I find you!