Sister Anne's HandsBy: Marybeth Lorbiecki
Illustrated By K. Wendy Popp
I learned of this book from my Children's literature class, my last semester in college. That class was the perfect way to end school, at least for me. This book is in my top ten all time favorite children's books. The illustrations are just lovely and authentic. The lovely illustrations are slightly muted in tone, appropriately giving the book the look of a memory recalledIt teaches lessons about tolerance, love, excepting and embracing all our differences. I love the flow and rhythm of this book. It is lovely to read out loud. Outstanding in every way. You really just have to read to see why I just love it so much.
Seven-year-old Anna Zabrocky is excited about her first day in the second grade. She is also very curious about her new teacher, Sister Anne, an African-American nun. Anna has never encountered a black person up close and personal before. Therefore, she feels a little uncertain and nervous as she avoids Sister Anne's gentle touch of welcome on the first day of school. Soon all of Anna's apprehensions vanish as her classroom comes alive. Sister Anne's warmth and gentleness engages them in learning new things, sharing wonderful stories and telling hearty jokes. Just when everything feels perfect for the new school year, someone hurls a paper airplane that sails by Sister Anne's head and hits the blackboard. On its wings were written some very hurtful things. Not only did this cruel act bring a great deal of pain to Sister Anne's eyes, but a sense of guilt comes upon Anna as though she had crafted the paper airplane herself. It is how Sister Anne chooses to take this painful moment and turn it into a teachable moment that makes this book so great. By the close of the school year, it is obvious that the strength and courage of this teacher changes the lives of her students forever. I love the very specific way it changes Anna.
1 comment:
I have never seen this book before. If you have it, I would love to look at it at your house someday.
Post a Comment